Growing Young Leaders is based on a CPAS course, and in Durham Diocese runs from September to April for young people in school years 10-13.
Leadership is not just about position, like being a team captain or having responsibility at school or even church. Leadership is about making a difference wherever we are, at school, at college, in the community or at home.
Growing Young Leaders is all about having fun together while exploring how we can grow in the God-given gift of leadership. The course will be about asking how we can each be an effective leader, grow as a leader and explore what God wants us to do.
We will learn together through talks, discussions as well as fun games and activities. There will also be opportunity to explore particular areas of leadership that you might want to develop.
The course ran for the first time in 2018.
Unfortunately we had to cancel the 3rd cohort in September 2020 due to covid restrictions but we running the course again this Autumn (2021).
The cost of the course is £60 but financial support is available either from the local parish church or from Durham Diocese.
2021 Consent Form in Word
The course will be run by Andy Harris (Leader of Youth Mission and Ministry, Durham Diocese) and other local youth leaders. All leaders will be appropriately recruited (including DBS checking). All activities are subject to sensible risk assessment to minimise the chances of injury or accidents. In all activities there is a ratio of at least 1 adult to every 8 young people.
Some feedback from previous years
- ‘Honestly I loved it all so much, I wish there had been more residentials but it was loads of fun’
- ‘I’ve enjoyed the sense belonging and community’
- ‘I really enjoyed meeting new people who share the same faith’
- ‘I have particularly enjoyed the residentials as it gave us a chance to get to know each other and develop our skills as a leader’
- ‘I’ve learnt to have more confidence in my abilities and to see ones I didn’t realise I had’
- ‘I’m much more confident within myself and my faith’
- ‘I’ve learnt how to be a good leader in a Christian context’
- ‘I have learnt I have a voice’
- ‘I’ve learnt you can be a leader at any age’
- ‘I’d do it again if I could’
- ‘Everything about the course has been hugely impressive and faith-building’. (Parent)