Twenty five Bishops and their teams from the northern half of The Church of England will be heading to the Diocese of Durham for a weekend of mission called ‘Talking Jesus’ from 2nd – 5th March.
The four days of mission and celebration start at Durham Cathedral on Thursday 2nd March at 1.30pm in a service led by The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, after which the teams will go out into communities in all corners of the Diocese – from the Tyne to the Tees and the Dales to the Sea.
The Bishops and their teams will be talking about Jesus at more than 450 community events across the sixteen deaneries in the Diocese of Durham.
Events include: Abseiling at Gainsford; On the Ball Sports at Durham Cricket Ground; Come and Sing at Holy Trinity Darlington; Ashes to Go at Norton; Street Pastors in pubs in the Low Fells as well as many opportunities for people to ask questions and find out more of the Christian faith. The mission concludes at Durham Cathedral on Sunday 5th March at 3.00pm for a final service of celebration – all are warmly welcome to attend.
The Right Revd Paul Butler, Bishop of Durham, said: “In this Diocese, we’re all about blessing our communities in Jesus’ name for the transformation of us all. What greater blessing can we offer than an introduction to Jesus? What could be more transformative than coming to know him? Just imagine: one long weekend; twenty five Bishops; hundreds of events; thousands hearing about Jesus and having their lives transformed.”
The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu said: “We’re in the Durham Diocese for a weekend of ‘Talking Jesus’. Jesus came to bring the very life of God as a gift to all of us. His resurrection makes it possible for us to live the life he lived. The heart of the Christian faith is about having an encounter with Jesus – an encounter which transforms and brings hope and love”.
Talking Jesus Durham is the third mission undertaken by the Northern Bishops. Previous missions have been at Blackburn (2016) and Sheffield (2015).
Activities / Events:
A cross section of the activities being planned follows for media information – but a more details can be found on our website https://durhamdiocese.org/talking-jesus and on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/talkingjesusdurham
Social and Online Media
- Latest Talking Jesus news on the Diocesan website
- General Talking Jesus information/resources here on the Diocesan website
- WATCH the Talking Jesus launch video here on YouTube
- FOLLOW on Twitter @dioceseofdurham | @DDNewsroom | @DDtalkingjesus #DDTalkingJesus
- VIEW Talking Jesus pictures here on Flickr
- Talking Jesus (Durham) is happening from the 2nd – 5th March across the Diocese of Durham. A commissioning service in Durham Cathedral at 1.30pm on Thursday 2nd March is the start point for the mission activities that will see more than 25 Bishops and The Archbishop of York visiting hundreds of events, across sixteen deaneries.
- Talking Jesus events finish with a service at Durham Cathedral at 3pm on Sunday 5th March.